Staying home in isolation, I have been getting crafty in the kitchen and trying new flavors and recipes!
Sometimes I see recipes and breeze past them because I think “eww..those flavors don’t go together“…But in these times of boredom, I’ve decided to spice it up and get a little wild 🙂 ….The result of this latest test is one I had to share because the final result was AMAZING.
It stars TWO of my favorite BALANCED SUPERFOODS: Protein & Sweet Potatoes — But combines them in a new way that really hits that spot…
Easy to make, loaded with flavor, super healthy and FILLING– This one will be satisfying, unique and great to make in bulk and eat throughout the week.
Thank you Carrie Forrest from Clean Eating Kitchen for the healthy inspiration and new flavor pairing- Balanced Beauty tested, approved and devoured!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken cutlets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 14.5-ounce canned chopped tomatoes, with the juices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional, for topping)
- 1 medium lemon or lime, juiced
- Drizzle your cooking oil into the Instant Pot and press the Sauté button. Let the oil heat up for about two minutes.
- Place the onion and chicken in the pot and use a wooden spoon or spatula to move it around. Add the thyme, garlic powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Cancel the sauté function and add the water, chopped sweet potatoes, and tomatoes, and stir to combine.
- Lock on the lid and set the cooking time to 8 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cooking time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure. Remove the lid and stir in the cilantro and lemon or lime juice.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in a tightly-sealed container for up to 4 days.
If cooking in a regular pot:
- Sauté the chicken and onion in the pot with a little olive or avocado oil.
- Next, add the dried thyme, garlic powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and water. Let cook on high– And then simmer to slow-cook/ leave in juices (longer the better) for the most flavor
- When you’re ready to serve, stir in the chopped cilantro and fresh lemon or lime juice.
Stay safe & healthy all-
Eating whole foods from the earth, with high nutritional value, is the best way to build up your immune system and fight any illness…
For 1:1 support and healthy Inspo during this time: Info@TheBalancedBeauty.com