I love pasta!
If you have worked with me or have followed the Blog or Insta for some time now, you will know that YOU CAN eat pasta and stay on-track with your health goals.
In fact, with all of the gluten-free and healthier pasta options that are easily accessible in the market today, you can eat pasta to recover from workouts, gain energy, load up on fiber, stay fuller for longer and stabilize your blood sugar levels– which all lead to weight-loss!
YES, YOU CAN eat foods you love and also whittle down your waistline, while feeling amazing. It IS possible!!!
The star of today’s pasta dish is made by “Jovial”- Organic Grain Free Cassava Pasta
Cassava is a root vegetable that is ground whole and dried into a fiber-rich flour.
Many of you, like me, struggle with allergies or digestive issues. It can be overwhelming trying to find foods that make us feel good and taste great. I love finding products and creating recipes that do both. This cassava pasta is a delicious grain free pasta that’s completely FREE OFF the top 8 allergens, gluten, starches, and gums. It is easily digestible and a great substitute for your normal white-starchy pastas, which can typically lead to bloating, inflammation and weight-gain.
I paired this pasta with what I call my “SUPER SAUCE”….which is made with a base of mushrooms.
Why not tomatoes you might ask?
I recommend cutting back on eating too many tomatoes for a variety of reasons:
- While tomatoes have many benefits, eating too many of them in your diet could be harmful. Tomatoes contain malic and citric acid, and consuming too much of these could make your stomach too acidic and cause heart burn or acid reflux.
- Despite being rich in fiber and vitamin C, this popular nightshade vegetable contains a large number of lectins which can trigger digestive issues if protein binds to the stomach wall.
- As a nightshade vegetable, tomatoes naturally produce a toxin called solanine. This toxin is believed to contribute to inflammation, swelling, and joint pain.
If consuming tomatoes or tomato sauce, make sure it is organic or imported. While they have many healthy benefits and OK to eat in balance and moderation, try to mix up your “sauces” and omit eating in excess.
Today’s “SUPER SAUCE” recipe will be a great alternative option to your typical tomato sauce- it is super easy to make, light- while keeping you fuller for longer, and loaded with health benefits (listed below)!*
- 1 pack washed mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1 pack of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 3 cups spinach
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Optional: Add pesto for added flavor or use as butter/ghee substitute
- In a pan, sauté garlic in olive oil until starting to turn golden brown
- Add in mushrooms and sauté, adding in the butter (or ghee)
- Add in spinach and parsley — Add salt and pepper, to taste
- While sauce is cooking, boil water and cook cassava pasta– about 13 min (al dente is best)
- Pour cooked pasta into the “sauce” mixture and sprinkle parmesan cheese to coat
- Serve hot & enjoy…(For extra kick, add red chili flakes or extra freshly graded parm on top)!
I call this recipe my “SUPER SAUCE” because MUSHROOMS are a SUPER FOOD!
Various health studies have showed that eating mushrooms can have beneficial effects on weight management and immune function. They can also be useful in regulating glucose levels– key for weight-loss!
Mushrooms are low in calories, have virtually no fat, no cholesterol, and are very low in sodium. The best part is, about 1 cup, provide 1-2 grams of protein. A great vegetarian/vegan/ healthy way to get extra protein into your diet.
They are also high in antioxidants (selenium) which helps protect the body from damaging free radicals that can cause conditions like heart disease and cancer. They also protect you against damage from aging and boost your immune system.
In cooking, mushrooms are also very versatile since they really take-on and absorb the flavors of whatever ingredients you are cooking them with. Easy to include them into various dishes to get the variety of health benefits they offer.
I LEAVE YOU WITH SOME ADVICE FROM A MUSHROOM:
- Be down-to-earth
- Keep a low profile
- Know when to show up
- Start from the ground up
- Be a fun-guy! 😉
…And remember to tell your kids–
Super Mario grew when he ate mushrooms!!!
A SUPER FOOD to POWER-UP!!!