Did you know today is National “Pi” Day? For all you math wizards out there, ENJOY! Big day for you guys!
…For all my Balanced Beauties, I’m sure the mention of the word “Pi” and you are probably thinking, “YUM, I could really go for some!!!”
|I like to call this: “Gooey-deliciousness!”|
So, in honor of “Pi” Day below is a healthy recipe idea that will satisfy your SWEET TOOTH, without derailing your healthy eating habits!
- Apples- Sliced (Green have the most health benefits but use apples YOU like best. They all work in this recipe and are nutritious and delicious)
- Sea Salt
- 1 Lemon
- Sliced Almonds or Chopped Pecans (adds crunchy texture)
- Fat-free yogurt (I like Chobani, Cinnamon Apple. It pairs nicely with this recipe) or all-natural “TruWhip”
- TruWhip is a better alternative to brands like Coolwhip or other whipped creams because ingredients are all-natural and gluten free. A small dollop is approved on top of this “dessert” to satisfy that sweet tooth! You can typically find this in your local supermarket or health food store http://www.truwhip.com (for my Hoboken girls- check out “Basic Foods” on Washington)
- Honey (instead of yogurt/TruWhip) to add within apple mixture for an all-natural touch of sweetness
- Set oven to 375 degrees F
- Mix sliced apples in a bowl with cinnamon, nutmeg, and chopped nuts (sprinkle as much of the spices as desired).
- Add just a touch* of seal salt
- Add juice from 1 lemon
- Add in optional touch of honey*
- Spread apples on a non-stick baking pan or into baking dish (I recommend a dish so there is an easier clean up!)
- Bake for 45 minutes; stirring every 15 minutes
- Once they are soft, cook for another few minutes to thicken the “cinnamon sauce.”
- Let cool for approx. 15 minutes
- Dish into bowls and add your TruWhip or Yogurt on top!